Using ricotta in your meatballs make them incredibly lighter and flavorful. These are simple to make and require few ingredients. Known as “Polpettine di Ricotta” in Italian, these meatballs are a nice change from what you might be used to.
Recipe: Ricotta Meatballs (Polpettine di Ricotta)
- 2 pounds or 4 cups of ground beef
- 2.5 cups ricotta cheese drained
- 2 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup flatleaf parsley or
- A few pinches of nutmeg
- Salt (to taste)
- Olive oil for frying the meatballs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
For the Sauce:
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic minced/sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup red wine
- olive oil to coat the pan to fry the onions and garlic
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Oregano or Italian Seasoning Mix
1. Combine ground beef in a bowl. Add ricotta cheese and egg. Mix thoroughly. Stir in flat leaf parsley or italian seasoning, Parmigiano-Reggiano, nutmeg, and salt. Form meatballs into 1″ balls
2. Warm olive oil in sauté pan over medium-high heat. Fry meatballs until golden brown. Remove from pan & set aside. (I usually let them drain of excess oil on a brown paper bag or paper towels.
3. Heat more olive oil in sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sweat onions and garlic cloves in olive oil until translucent (4-5 minutes). Deglaze pan by adding red wine, then cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add can of tomatoes and , then bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add oregano or italian seasoning mix Add meatballs, then simmer for 30 minutes.
Included is a step by step picture slideshow.